Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pest of the month: The Punctate Flower Chafer

For the past three years the soil of my bonsai trees have been getting infested with curl grubs. The worst case was a round pot with inner dimensions 4 X 20 cm, which had 24 of these bad boys (photo on the left). I reared some of them to find out what they are. They turned out to be the Punctate Flower Chafer Neorrhina punctatum, family Scarabaeidae (photo on the right). I was fighting them by repotting my plants, because even submerging the whole pot in insecticide solution doesn’t always kill them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found one of these in a pot. I knew that some type of beetle lay eggs that become curl grubs but until now hadn’t seen any of these and I e found so many curl grubs up til now and just repot them as you do. I will keep my eyes open for these little pests now. Thank you!